Saturday, July 12, 2008

Satisfied...

For the past few months I've been wrestling with the idea of being completely satisfied. Satisfied with who I am, where I'm at and what's in store for the future. I've often questioned God's purpose with keeping me in the states rather than overseas and trying to discern my role as an army wife, when I myself know very little about the military. I have often looked at my present situations as being filled with limitations rather than opportunities. 
I was reading through some of Elisabeth Elliot's writings today and she said something that really spoke to my heart. She was recounting a story she heard of a woman by the name of Gladys Aylward, "the small woman" of China. As a child, she had two great sorrows. One, that while all of her friends had beautiful golden blonde hair, hers was black. And that while her friends were still growing she had stopped and remained four foot, ten inches tall. Oh how I can relate! But when she at last reached the country which God had called her to be a missionary she stood in Shanghai and looked around at the people whom He had called her. To her surprise every single one of them had black hair and and were her size. And she said to herself, "Lord God, You know what you're doing!" 
How often I forget that. I fail to stop and realize that I serve the God of purpose who has a perfect plan. And while I may not see the big picture, the One I serve does.

Satisfied.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing that Lauren!