Friday, December 19, 2008

Baby Blankets


As this Christmas continues to draw closer, I am reminded that it will be different. It will be the first Christmas over the past three years that I will not have Robert home to enjoy it with. But, I realize I am not alone. There are thousands of other families that will be separated as their loved ones continue to serve overseas with the military.
In an attempt to bring joy to a few other military families this holiday, I thought long and hard about how I, as one Army wife, could best serve another. I searched for tangible ways I could show love and that's when I realized that many of the soldier's wives in Robert's unit were expecting babies. It was a foreign thought for me to understand the amazing blessing of giving birth to a child and yet not being able to have your spouse around to enjoy the event with because he/she continues to serve on the frontlines. Christmas....a time of year when we as Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. A beautiful baby boy, yet both the Son of God and the Son of man born in a manger.
This Christmas, I have decided to reach out to these expectant mothers. Thanks to a wonderful group of ladies from my church, each expectant mother will be receiving a personalized, handmade baby blanket. We praise God for the blessings of these new births and for the mothers who sacrifice so much because freedom is never free.

No comments: